What’s new in QuickBooks Point of Sale 2013?Features new to Point of Sale 2013 include:
Mobile Sync – accept credit cards on your smart phone or iPad. Updated navigation to simplify everyday tasks Simple Payments Account Activation
What is Mobile Sync?
- Mobile Sync allows you to ring up credit card sales on the go with your smart phone or iPad with GoPayment, Intuit’s mobile credit card payment app and card reader. Simply select the items you want to sell on your mobile device in Point of Sale and you’re ready to go.
How can I use Mobile Sync for my retail business?
- Instead of having your customers wait in long check-out lines, you or your employees can use Mobile Sync to ring up sales on the floor of your retail store. Or if you attend street fairs, trade shows and craft fairs, you can use the mobile sync feature to ring up sales while you’re on the go. All the sales and inventory data automatically syncs back to QuickBooks Point of Sale, keeping your information is in one spot & up to date.
What devices are compatible with the mobile card reader?
- The Intuit GoPayment Card Reader works with the following Apple and Android devices:AppleThe GoPayment card reader is compatible on all iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices running iOS 4.0 and higher. AndroidThe GoPayment card reader is compatible on the following Android devices running iOS 2.1 and higher.
|HTC Droid Incredible
||Motorola Xoom Tablet
|HTC Droid Incredible 2
|HTC EVO 4G (PC36100)
||Samsung Captivate (SGH-I897)
|HTC EVO 4G 3D (PG86100)
||Samsung Captivate Glide (SGH-I927)
|HTC EVO Shift 4G (PG06100)
||Samsung Continuum (SCH-I400)
||Samsung Droid Charge (SCH-I510)
|HTC MyTouch 4G
||Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700)
|HTC MyTouch 4G Slide
||Samsung Exhibit 4G
|HTC Nexus One
||Samsung Exhibit II 4G
|HTC One X (htconex)
||Samsung Fascinate (SCH-I500)
||Samsung Galaxy Indulge (SCH-R910)
|HTC Rhyme (ADR6330VW)
||Samsung Galaxy Nexus (SCH-I515)
|HTC Sensation 4G
||Samsung Galaxy Nexus S
|HTC Status (PH06130)
||Samsung Galaxy Note (SAMSUNG-SGH-I717)
||Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (YP-G70)
||Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-I777)
|Huawei Impulse 4G
||Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710)
||Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket LTE (I727)
|LG Optimus T (LG-P509)
||Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989)
||Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere (SCH-I405)
|Motorola Atrix II (MB865)
||Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10"(GT-P7510)
||Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 (Verizon 4G LTE) (SCH-I905)
|Motorola Droid 2
||Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210)
|Motorola Droid 2 Global
||Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 8.9" (GT-P7310)
|Motorola Droid 3
||Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 8.9 (SGH-I957)
|Motorola Droid 4
||Samsung Illusion (SCH-I110)
|Motorola Droid Bionic
||Samsung Infuse 4G
|Motorola Bravo (MB520)
|Motorola Droid Pro
||Samsung Sidekick 4G (SGH-T839H)
|Motorola Droid Razr 4G
|Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
||Samsung Vibrant (SGH-T959)
|Motorola Droid X
||T-Mobile myTouch 4G
|Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (MZ617)
What kinds of retailers use Point of Sale 2013?
- Point of Sale is ideal for many types of retailers. Here are a few examples:
- Pet Supplies
- Clothing, Footwear and Accessories
- Gift and Souvenir
- Sporting Goods
- Furniture and Home Furnishings
- Sewing and Fabric
- Game and Hobby
- Lumber and Building
- Paint and Wallpaper
- Floor Covering and Hardware
- Music and Video
- Computers and Electronics
What are the differences between the three editions of Point of Sale?
- Basic: For retailers who need basic inventory, sales and customer tracking Pro: All the features in Basic, plus additional inventory and sales features such as: Advanced tracking of products by style and color Serial number tracking Sales orders Layaways Multiple units of measure Committed vs. available inventory Employee commission tracking Multi-Store: All the features in Pro, plus the ability to manage up to 20 locations.
Not sure which version you need? Download the Comparison Chart
How is Point of Sale different from Intuit QuickBooks Financial software?
- Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale is point of sale software used by more than 100,000 independent retail businesses. You can use QuickBooks Point of Sale to quickly ring up sales, track inventory, and manage customer and employee information. QuickBooks Point of Sale also helps you to run critical business reports, like sales over time, sales by employee, inventory turn and more. There are over 50 pre-built reports ready for you in just a few clicks, or you can build your own customized reports to get the information you need to make better business decisions.Intuit QuickBooks Financial software is small business financial software used by more than 4 million businesses. You can use QuickBooks Financial software to pay bills, manage payroll, and create financial statements and reports.
Does QuickBooks Point of Sale work with QuickBooks Financial software?
- Use either product alone, or use the two together, transferring sales and inventory data from Point of Sale to QuickBooks Financial software for a more complete retail management solution.
Do I have to use QuickBooks Financial software in order to use Point of Sale?
- No. Point of Sale works by itself to easily and accurately track and manage your inventory, sales and customer information. It can also be used together with QuickBooks Financial software4 to create a complete retail management suite, including financial accounting.
How is Point of Sale better than an electronic cash register?
- Point of Sale quickly rings up sales, like a cash register, but also tracks complete inventory, sales and customer information to give you better control over your business. With every sale, your inventory is automatically adjusted so you always know where you stand-what's in stock, what needs reordering. At the end of the day you can quickly and easily transfers sales data into QuickBooks Financial software, saving time and helping to reduce manual bookkeeping errors.
- How much does Point of Sale cost?
- There are three levels of Point of Sale: 1) Point of Sale Basic MSRP is $1099.95, 2) Pro MSRP is $1599.95 and 3) Multi-Store MSRP is $1799.95. For more information on the differences between these products please see the product comparison chart by clicking here.
Can I try Point of Sale before I buy it?
- Yes! You can download the 30 Day Trial of QuickBooks POS 2013 here. If you decide to purchase within the 30 day trial period, simply call us at (800) 604-8980 to "unlock" your free version to the Pro version (additional fee required). You'll be able to continue using the same installation without having to download, install or set up anything again!
What if I find it's not right for me?
- Point of Sale software comes with a QuickBooks 60-Day Money-Back Satisfaction Guarantee. If you're not satisfied, return the product to your place of purchase or to Intuit within 60 days with a dated receipt for a full refund of your purchase price. All QuickBooks-approved retail hardware is covered by a one-year hardware manufacturer's warranty.
Will Point of Sale 2013 work with Windows Vista operating system?
- Yes, Point of Sale software versions 8.0 and higher, POS-approved hardware, and Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale Merchant Service will run on Windows Vista. However, you may need to take some simple, additional steps when installing POS software and hardware to ensure they run on a PC with Windows Vista. Earlier versions of Point of Sale will not run properly on Windows Vista. For more information about running Point of Sale on Windows Vista, please visit our Support Center.
Getting Started with Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale
How hard is it to get started?
- Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale is designed to be easy to set up; so most retailers can start using the software the same day. Use the simple Setup Interview to get started quickly and easily. Import item, vendor and customer lists from QuickBooks Financial software or Microsoft® Excel to save hours of manual data entry. QuickBooks Point of Sale contains a User Guide which leads you through the most important tasks to get you up and running.
- How do I set up my Payments Account?
- You can have your Payments Account up and running in less than an hour. Simply call (800) 604-8980 to apply for your account. Once you are approved you will receive an email with your account information. In QuickBooks Point of Sale, simply select the Setup Interview and follow the steps in the setup interview to begin processing credit card payments.
What if I need help getting started?
- QuickBooks Point of Sale software has many tools to help you get up and running smoothly, including:
- Quick Start Guide included with your software.
- Ongoing technical support plans.
- Certified QuickBooks Point of Sale ProAdvisors may also be available to help you get the most out of your product. To speak with an expert, call (800) 604-8980.
- Connect with other Point of Sale users and experts to ask questions and share advice. Go to the User Community.
- Intuit Solution Providers - Your local retail business and technology experts can help you with any retail technology questions, and are just a few clicks away. To speak with an expert, call (800) 604-8980.
- Do I have to enter each customer, vendor and inventory item one-at-a-time?
- No! You can save hours of manual data entry by importing your company information from QuickBooks Financial software or from Microsoft® Excel. Point of Sale imports data from any QuickBooks Pro or Premier Edition 2008-2012, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 8.0-12.0, or Microsoft Excel 2000, 2002, 2003 or 2007. These applications are sold separately.
Can I transfer data from the retail software I'm currently using into QuickBooks Point of Sale?
- If you can export information from your current retail management software to either QuickBooks Accounting software or Microsoft Excel, you can then easily import it into Point of Sale. Point of Sale imports data from any QuickBooks Pro or Premier Edition 2007-2011, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 7.0-11.0, or Microsoft Excel 2000, 2002, 2003 or 2007. These applications are sold separately.
Using Point of Sale with QuickBooks Financial software
- What versions of QuickBooks Financial software work with Point of Sale?
- Point of Sale software works with any QuickBooks Pro or Premier Edition 2008-2012, and with QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 8.0-12.0. QuickBooks Financial software is sold separately.
- If I use Point of Sale together with QuickBooks Financial software, do my employees get access to my financial information?
- No. You can maintain complete control over both QuickBooks Point of Sale software and QuickBooks Financial software to allow your employees to see only the information they need.
Processing Credit Card and Debit Card Transactions
How do I process credit cards with Point of Sale?
- You can use Point of Sale to process credit card payments quickly and easily without a separate credit card terminal, all you need is Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale Payments Account6. You can easily record and authorize secure transactions right from your Point of Sale software, or iPhone and Tablet. Your transactions are automatically recorded right in Point of Sale, no more going back and forth to a separate terminal, no more double data entry and you’ll reduce errors.
Does Point of Sale work with any Merchant Service Provider?
- Yes, you can use any Merchant Service with Point of Sale, but only a QuickBooks Point of Sale Payments account will integrate with Point of Sale. The integrated Payments Account allows you to process and record credit card transactions in Point of Sale without requiring a separate terminal. You may use another merchant service with Point of Sale, but you will have to manually enter the transaction information into your credit card terminal.
How do I process debit cards with Point of Sale?
- It's easy. All you need is QuickBooks Point of Sale Payments Account and an integrated PIN Debit Keypad. Apply for the service by calling 800-931-2120.
How do I process credit cards on my mobile device?
- You can use GoPayment to process credit card payments quickly and easily on your mobile device. Your sales and inventory information will automatically sync back to your Point of Sale software, keeping your information accurate and up-to-date. All you need is Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale Payments Account. Just swipe the customer's card through the GoPayment Mobile Card Reader and GoPayment transmits the transaction to QuickBooks Point of Sale Merchant Service, Apply for a QuickBooks Point of Sale Payments Account by calling 800-931-2120.
Do I need to accept credit cards or debit cards in order to use Point of Sale?
- Not at all. Point of Sale is a great way to manage your inventory, sales and customer information even if you don't use the integrated credit card processing.
Does Point of Sale work with other merchant card services?
- You can use any merchant services you like in conjunction with Point of Sale, but in order to obtain the required authorizations for credit card sales, you'll need to manually enter the transaction information into your credit card terminal - an extra step that can introduce errors. And you can't capture the authorization code in the sales record unless you enter it manually. QuickBooks Point of Sale Merchant Service is the only service that allows you to authorize credit card transactions directly from the actual sales record in the software. There's no need to re-enter anything, no extra steps, and it can reduce errors.
What advantages do I get with QuickBooks Point of Sale Merchant Service?
- QuickBooks Point of Sale Merchant Service integrates seamlessly with Point of Sale software to save you time and help reduce manual data entry and bookkeeping errors. Simply call (With options for a low discount rate and low monthly fees, and with no monthly equipment charges, QuickBooks Point of Sale Merchant Service is another time and money-saving solution from QuickBooks. The application process takes just minutes and you can be ringing up credit card sales in less than a day. For more information on our competitive rates, please call 800-931-2120.
Using Multiple Copies in One Location
Can I install my current copy of Point of Sale on more than one computer?
- Yes, but your user license permits use on only one computer at a time. For example, you could install a single copy of Point of Sale on both a front register and a back office computer, but you would only be able to use one at a time. To use both at the same time you will need to purchase an additional copy of Point of Sale.
How many copies of Point of Sale can I network together within one store?
- You can connect as many as twenty copies of Point of Sale within one store and all twenty copies can share the same data. Detailed instructions for setting up a networked installation are found in the QuickBooks Point of Sale User's Guide. In a multi-user installation, every copy of Point of Sale must be the same version (ex: Version 2013) and same level (ex: Pro), and every copy must be purchased separately.
Can I use Point of Sale at my front counter and QuickBooks Accounting software in my back office?
- Yes, many retailers do this to save hours of manually updating their books with sales and inventory information. You can transmit information from your Point of Sale application directly into your QuickBooks data file across a local area network. Detailed instructions for setting up a networked installation are found in the QuickBooks Point of Sale User's Guide. If you'd rather not set up a network, you can copy your Point of Sale data file onto a CD, portable memory device or other removable media, and load it onto the computer that houses your QuickBooks Accounting software. In this scenario, both computers would have to have QuickBooks Point of Sale installed.
An outside accountant does my bookkeeping. Do they need to purchase Point of Sale, too?
- No, your accountant does not need the sales details in QuickBooks Point of Sale - just the summary of the information that you post to your QuickBooks Accounting software. Just transfer your summarized sales information from QuickBooks Point of Sale into your QuickBooks Accounting software. Then, just as you've always done, send the QuickBooks Accounting software file to your accountant for review.
Upgrading from Basic to Pro
I bought Point of Sale Basic, but I've decided I'd really like to take advantage of some of the features in Pro. What can I do?
- Every copy of Point of Sale contains the features of all three editions (Free, Basic and Pro). If you decide to upgrade from one version to another, call us at 800-931-2120. For an additional fee, we'll provide a key code. Just enter this key code into the software as instructed, and the features you want are available instantly - no waiting for an upgrade to arrive in the mail.
Using Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale to Manage Multiple Locations
What do I need to buy in order to manage multiple stores with Point of Sale?
- In a multiple store installation, every Point of Sale must be the same version (ex. version 2013) and level (Multi-Store level only) and you must purchase each copy you install. Call (800) 604-8980 to speak to a QuickBooks Point of Sale expert for more information.
How many stores can I manage with Point of Sale Pro?
- Point of Sale Multi-Store 2013 allows you to manage up to twenty store locations with a single company data file. In a multi-store installation, every copy of Point of Sale must be the same version (example: Version 2013) and same level (Multi-Store), and you must purchase each copy you install.
How to Purchase Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale
Where can I buy QuickBooks Point of Sale?
- QuickBooks Point of Sale can be purchased on our website or by calling (800) 604-8980
What are the system requirements?
- QuickBooks Point of Sale System Requirements
- At least 2 GB of RAM for a single workstation installation
- 1 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files)
- Optimized for 1024 x 768 screen resolution. 15" Touch Screen running at 1024x768 resolution is recommended.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows XP (SP3 or later strongly recommended), 32-bit, all editions, Windows Server 2003 Windows Vista, all editions (SP2 or later strongly recommended), Windows Server 2208 (SP1 or later strongly recommended, Windows 7
- Data import/export and Microsoft Office integration requires:
- Microsoft® Excel 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 or 2010
- Microsoft® Word 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 or 2010 Multi-User Recommendations:
Financial software integration requires:
- Multi-core processor and 4GB of Ram are recommended for better performance on the Point of Sale server workstation
- In a multi-user configuration, each workstation concurrently running Point of Sale must have a separately purchased user license and every copy of Point of Sale must be the same version and level.
- Internet connection required for patch updates, in-product help and video tutorials.
Intuit Payment Solutions
- QuickBooks Pro or Premier Editions 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 or 2012
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Version 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 or 12.0
- Optional fee-based service, additional terms & conditions apply.
- Requires an Intuit Payments Account through Intuit Payment Solutions; sold separately. Application approval, fees and additional terms and conditions apply.
- Credit card reader and printer required for credit and debit transactions. PIN pad required for debit transactions.
- Internet connection required. Terms, conditions, pricing, features, service and support options are subject to change at any time without notice.
- McAfee Internet Security Suite
- Symantec Norton® Internet Security Suite
- Zone Labs' Zone Alarm Pro
- Trend Micro